Even with steroids building muscle isn't easy. I ask you, how often do you see guys in the gym busting their ass for hours, months even years and have little to show for it?
If this describes you, then you can relate to hard it can be to build muscle and maintain it.
The fact is, unless you've got 'gifted genes', increasing mass isn't as simple as pushing heavy weights from point A to B. This won't stimulate more muscle growth unless you know how to execute the correct techniques through the full range of motion while applying tension to the working muscle.
And believe me, understanding how to execute the correct movement isn't easy, especially if your trying to figure it out on your own. Many try and waste years through trial and error to figure it out.
So how do you get around this problem?
You could hire a trainer, but there not cheap and good ones are hard to find. The other option is to follow the teachings of someone who has successfully achieved it in their own lives. And this is what this Mi40 review is all about.
This Mi40 system is one of the top selling muscle building programs in the world. I go into detail about why that is so, the pros and cons and whether the Mi40 muscle building program is worth your investment.
What Is The MI40 Workout Program?
The MI40 foundation system is 6 week intense training and nutritional program that teaches you how to train and eat optimally, just like a pro athlete, to grow muscle in the shortest time possible.
What's behind the number 40?
The number 40 is the core theme of this program as it represents the number of days in the program, the number of seconds to complete each set, the rest period between sets and the number of exercises used in the program.
According to Ben Pakulski, 40 is the most scientifically significant number when it comes to building muscle. He explains in his program its proven that:
- 40 days is the optimal time for your body to adopt to a new training program.
- 40 seconds is the optimal 'time under tension' (TUT) to produce maximum muscle hypertrophy.
- 40 seconds is the optimal rest period to enable the *CP and ATP Glycolytic energy pathways to recover before performing the next set.
* These energy pathways are important because they drive muscle contraction of fast twitch muscle fibers that are vital for growth.
The program is very detailed and comprehensive. It includes 8 manuals covering training, nutritional and supplement protocols. There are over 7 hours of instructional videos, including bonus audios and a member forum.
- Created by a Professional IFBB Bodybuilder
- Over 8 hours of video training supported with training, nutritional and supplementation manuals
- The amount of actionable information is immense
- Unless you're lazy, you'll get results
- Comprehensive 53 nutritional report on how to gain lean mass and lose fat
- 60 day money back guarantee
- Not suitable for beginners
- This is not a quick fix system, you've got put the work in to see results
- Some may consider the program as information overload
Why Was MI40 Developed?
Ben Pakulski created MI40 in response to the lack of good quality training available. In many of the gyms he visits to train clients he was shocked to see the vast majority of people really didn’t know how to train properly.
In fact, Ben states there are 4 common mistakes preventing people from making serious gains.
Ben says this lack of knowledge is a “blind leading the blind mentality”. Mindlessly following those with the best or biggest physique and trying to emulate them. But there’s no evidence they have a clue what they’re doing themselves.
In most cases their amazing body is the result of natural genetics, a strong work ethic or they’re anally meticulous about their nutrition. It could also be part of a sophisticated marketing campaign.
Unfortunately, these are all factors that you, the outsider, will never get to see. This motivated Ben to use his 18 years of knowledge and experience of being one of the top 6 bodybuilders in the world to change that.
Who Exactly is Ben Pakulski
Ben is a highly qualified and successful IFBB professional bodybuilder with a university degree in Kineslogy and Biomechanics which is the science of movement and muscle function.
He became the Canadian Champion in 2008 and is a regular competitor in the Arnold Classic championship and Mr Olympia. He has appeared on the cover of several magazines including Flex.
Ben takes a very scientific approach to muscle building, he even trains with a Professor in a university laboratory, in order to develop smarter ways of training.
How Is Mi40 Different To Any Other Bodybuilding Program
The major difference is the scientific approach to the training. Although many of the exercises will be familiar, the techniques to optimally grow muscle in less time will not.
These techniques are;
- Mass Intentions
- Neurological overload
Ben has observed that "most people don't know how to feel their muscles and therefore, have no idea to exhaust and grow them". To solve this problem he came up with an adaptation of applying tension and named it Mass Intentions
The aim of Mass Intentions is to increase the maximum amount of time under tension.
This doesn’t happen with straight sets. With the bench press for example, you’re only applying tension on the way up. With mass intentions, you're applying throughout the positive and negative movement of each rep.
As you're gripping the bar to perform a bench press you push inwards with your hands throughout the full rep.
By exerting tension through a full range of motion you actively recruit more muscle fibers and increase more torque compared to a standard straight set.
This is far more effective at increasing muscle mass and strength than throwing around heavy weights with bad form, which is unfortunately a common sight in gyms today.
If you're obsessed with lifting heavy or you 'get off' impressing the opposite sex in the gym, then you're in for a shock.
Ben's belief is that the only way to build muscle is to increase the maximum amount of time under tension and torque in the muscle, but more importantly, ensuring its going to the right muscle.
For this reason, MI40 requires you to suspend your ego and belief that more weight equals more muscle and be prepared to drop the weight and instead focus on a qualitative approach that builds more mass in less time.
I'm a heavy weight obsessive and to be honest, I was highly skeptical that dropping weight would mean greater gains.
For example, with lat pull downs I usually work sets in a range of 180 and 230 pounds. I dropped to 150 and and after a couple of adjustments applied the MI technique.
I must admit, I definitely could feel my lats firing in a completely different way and my back the next was a heck of lot more sore than it was doing sets pulling down 230.
The second technique used MI40 is Neurological Overload Sets or NOS for short. Ben refers to these as turbo drop sets for maximum hypertrophy.
Have you ever finished a workout session and even though it felt challenging in the back of your mind you know that your muscles weren’t pushed to their limits?
It’s a major reason many people never progress and grow. They think they’re working out hard but in reality their endocrine system is not being stimulated enough to release enough growth hormones to promote muscle growth. This is what NOS was designed to overcome.
"The NOS is the 4th and final set within each exercise and it’s the key set to turbo charge muscle growth. Its what you would call the money set".
Now drop sets aren’t new, but Ben has approached them scientifically by combining them with mass intentions and perfect form to completely exhaust the muscle. This stimulates the central nervous for the optimal release of testosterone and growth hormone.
The NOS is executed with a 4-0-1-0 tempo, which is 4 seconds negative, zero pause at the bottom, 1 second on the positive and zero pause at the top.
On completion of each 8th rep you drop the weight by 20%. For example, if you start with 100lbs, you drop 20Ibs after the 8th repetition and continue to drop incrementally until you can’t lift anymore. This is how total failure is achieved.
Here's an example how to perform a NOS set....
This workout uses the incline barbell press with 'inward intentions' to target the chest. Ben explains how to do the intentions far better than I can in his instruction videos, which come as part of the program.
The first three are your straight sets performed with 4-0-1-0 tempo. Basically, there's no rest, each rep is a continuous movement.
The inward tension is applied throughout the motion, but its the 4 second control on the decline where the muscles get real intense workout before the NOS set.
With the NOS set, you pump out as many reps as possible with controlled inward intention, until failure. At the point of failure you decrease the weight by 20%.
For example, if you start with 100lbs, you drop 20Ibs and continue to drop incrementally until you can’t lift anymore.
Ben's Flat/Incline Bench Tip -
For maximum muscle recruitment the spine should be slightly flexed, not arched, aka crunch so your back is flush with the pad.
The principle behind NOS, is to create maximum hypertrophy of the muscle. According to Ben, this creates an optimal environment for growth by stimulating the endocrine system. This releases the three essential hormones for kick starting muscle growth which are testosterone, growth hormone and IGF-1.
Be warned the NOS is a killer set and is not for the faint of heart or those who prefer wimpy workouts. This intensity is needed to kick-start your endocrine system into overdrive for optimal growth hormone and testosterone release.
The whole point of the MI40 system is qualitative over quantitative meaning that it’s designed for you to get the maximum returns in the shortest time possible.
Yes, you will have to push yourself to the limit, but the cool thing, is that each workout session is only 40 minutes. That’s all you need for maximum growth.
You can walk out of the gym knowing you’ve made maximum progress. Unlike the gym rats spending hours busting their asses and getting nowhere.
The program is designed to incorporate variety. Ben has intentionally included 40 exercises to keep you motivated and challenged, so there's no fear of getting bored.
Sounds Cool, But Does MI40 Actually Work
MI40 is a very well throughout and comprehensive muscle building program that shows you how to lift with proper form and build muscle optimally. There's no doubt about it, you will get bigger and stronger with MI40 but you will have to work hard for it.
Combining intentions (appling torque with hands on the bar throught the full motion) with high intensity drop sets (NOS) to exert maximum time under tension considerably increases the level of difficulty of the MI40 sets compared to traditional straight sets.
Although Ben states that beginners can use MI40 I feel the program would be too much of a challenge. In my opinion, you're better off getting some lifting experience under your belt before attempting MI40.
The sets also require considerable control because you're applying intentions and pulling or pushing at the same time within a 40 second time limit. A beginner without the basic of knowledge of lifting would find the intensity and techniques extremely difficult to cope with.
I feel MI40 is more suitable if your an intermediate or an advanced bodybuilder as you would be better able to adjust to the higher and sustained tension applied to the muscle.
Even so, you'll probably need some time to adjust as experienced by this guy who commented in well known bodybuilding forum...
" I tried this set/rep scheme with the NOS set for 2 weeks. Took me and my buddies a few days to adjust and adopt it but once you're familiar with it I noticed a breakthrough in my current growth stagnation. My biceps have always been lacking and I finally have a decent bump there now and its starting to develop a mild peak."
The MI40 muscle building program is an intense and brutal workout and is certainly not for the faint of heart. Yes, the sessions are short, only 40 minutes, but you'll literally be crawling out of the gym especially at the beginning.
As pointed out its not for beginners or for those who like to take it easy in the gym. If you're not willing to put in the effort, then you're wasting your money.
What MI40 Customers Are Saying
The biggest proof that MI40 works is to look no further than its creator, Ben Pakulski. The man is a beast and to become a successful bodybuilder at the top level you need to know your stuff.
Furthermore, he's one of very few pro's who are willing to share their secrets to their success.
Further proof is provided on the official MI40 website with a large selection of before and after results. Don't get me wrong, but I like to search around and find less biased proof of the results this program can really deliver.
In my search I came across young guy called Steven who published his personal log on the bodybuilding.com forum that tracked his progress during his 6 weeks of the MI40 program.
At the end Steven says
"I had a freaking blast over the past 40 days! Really learned to work the muscles in a completely different way. Proved to myself that yes heavy weights are important, but what is more important is TENSION. My weights throughout this for the most part were that of a 15 year old beginner haha, but applying INTENTIONS and using special angles, and using a TRUE ROM for each muscle, how it was designed to move."
If you have a "heavier weight more muscle" mindset you've got to swallow your ego and start pumping lighter weights in order to control the movement.
This can feel counter-intuitive to someone whose use to training for strength, but surprisingly it works as Steven points out..."
"I had to drop weight drastically. For incline press for example. I can hit 225 for 8 no problem...using Intensions, I used 135lbs and failed at 8 reps. Every exercise has dropped drastically in weight, but I am feeling the muscles SO much more."
Here is very informative review from No Excuse Charlie from Bentbarbell.com
What You Get With The MI40 Muscle Building Program
Ben’s course is a fully comprehensive step by step guide that include PDF manuals, high res video and audio tutorials covering every single topic to transform your body. All the manuals and videos are downloadable.
Here’s what you get:
1. The 40 Day Mass Intelligence Training Manual. A 33 page manual that goes deep into the philosophy and science behind the MI40 system. In clear language, Bens teaches you the basics of biomechanics, proper form and in clear simple language explains the concepts of mass intentions, time under tension, how to manipulate specific muscles and of course, the Neurological Overload Sets (NOS), a lethal version of the drop set.
2. Mass Consumption Nutritional Guide: this is a comprehensive 53 page nutritional guide explaining Ben’s 3 phase nutritional system for maximum muscle growth and fat loss. All the guesswork is taken away as you’ll know what to eat before during and after each workout and non- training days.
3. Mass Instruction Videos: 21 HD quality instructional videos with over 7 hours of professional training of the MI40 system. You’ll watch Ben instruct Vince Del Monte, Champion Wrestler Rob Terry and WBFF World Champion Emily Sterling how to apply proper form and technique to execute each set perfectly. These videos will take away any guesswork enabling fast-track your results.
4. Exercise Execution Guide: An invaluable 52 page PDF that supports the instructional videos. The manual contains photos that illustrate clearly how to perform each exercise routine perfectly and also the common mistakes to avoid. A very handy resource that you can keep referring to until you become a master.
5. 23 Prescription Printable Workout Sheets: Success comes from tracking and measuring your progress. Most don’t do this and that’s why they don’t get anywhere. The individual workout sheets makes this a breeze as they break down in detail the exercise, number or reps, rest period, tempo and when to apply the NOS for all 40 workout routines.
6. The 40 Day Mass Pursuit Calendar: this printable calendar enables you to track your progress and set your goals day by day for the whole 40 day (6 week) program. This will keep you motivated and focused on getting results because the moment you hit the gym you’ll know what you need to do.
7. 40 Day Mass Supplement Protocol: The market for muscle building supplements is huge and there’s a ton of crap out there you don’t actually need. However, the good ones can help with the most important aspect of muscle growth and that’s recovery. How fast you recover depends how effectively you reduce inflammation. In this 19 page document Ben reveals his own personal mass building supplement protocol that accelerates recovery and its a lot cheaper than you think!
8. Size Secret Audio Interrogation: In this audio file Ben reveals little known secrets he’s picked up from the top doctors, trainers and therapists in the industry regarding nutrition, training, recovery and supplementation. Learn and apply these and you will take your results to another level.